This post contains affiliate links. This means that I get a commission if you order through my link at no extra cost to you.
The age-old debate: Is high end makeup actually better than drugstore makeup? Does a more expensive price tag make a product a better buy?
There are a few things you are paying for when you buy high end makeup. You are paying for the brand, the packaging, fragrance, and (sometimes) pigmentation. These are definitely things to consider when purchasing products, but they are not the end-all-be-all.
Being a poor teacher, I tend to lean more on the drugstore side of makeup. I can buy lots of products but not spend lots of money. Obviously this is the dream, especially if the quality of the product is not sacrificed. I personally think that there are lots of great products that you can find at the drugstore. Some of these products are even considered “dupes” for much more expensive makeup. You can even buy inexpensive makeup at the grocery store or Amazon! Of course, not all drugstore products are great and some should be avoided, but even if you buy something awful, at least you didn’t spend a huge amount of money.
Find These Products
Things to look for when considering purchasing a product (Drugstore or High End)
- Formula (you may be sensitive to some ingredients, always check the label)
- Pigmentation (this may be buildable but you’ll use the product up quicker)
- Packaging (cheap plastic breaks easily and pumps are nice on foundation)
- Price (duh)
- Amount of product (a product could be cheap because you get only a little product)
- Shade range (some product lines won’t have a shade that works for you)
- What you already own (maybe you don’t need five different concealers, but you might want other eye shadow colors)
Now I’m not saying that I don’t own any expensive high end products. I am a sucker for Sephora and I spend too much money there at times. However, I like to be smart about my purchases of high end products. Reviews are my best friend. Watching YouTube reviews of products can be very helpful, especially if the YouTuber has similar skin/hair to you. Allure gives reviews of both high end and drugstore products. Blogs are another place to find reviews from real people!
Find These Products
Let me know what your favorite high end or drugstore products are. Letting each other know what works and what doesn’t helps everyone!